We live in a sleep-deprived society. At least, that’s been my observation in clinical practice. While this may not be their primary complaint, most people coming in for a consultation either have difficulty falling asleep, wake up several times per night, or awake not feeling rested, sometimes all three.
In Ayurveda, sleep is considered one of the 3 pillars of a healthy life. So, yes, sleep is ESSENTIAL for our health and well-being! We all know that when we get a good night’s sleep we feel more alert, clear, motivated, happy, enthusiastic, and just plain good.
So if you suffer from sleep issues try this:
1) Avoid heavy exercise after 7pm.
2) Turn off all electronic devices at least one hour before bed.
3) Do a full self-body massage (Abhyanga) with warm calming oil.
3) Take an epsom salt bath- magnesium calms and relaxes muscles and relieves tension.
4) Drink warm milk, or milk-substitute, with nutmeg and turmeric.
5) Do yoga postures like child’s pose, seated forward bend and leg up the wall pose.
6) Find an appropriate meditative practice, like Yoga Nidra.
7) For difficult nights, these I Sleep Soundly tablets are a great natural sleep remedy.